Friday, September 09, 2005

More on Yushchenko firing his government

This is interesting, Yushchenko Fires His Government, especially this part:


"I have spent the last three nights thinking about how to keep together that which has already separated. ... The key issue was the issue of trust," he said. "If there had been a possibility to preserve team spirit, to remain together, it would have been the best answer. We had such an agreement and during the night it was changed, but not by me."

If you had asked me yesterday why Yuschenko dismissed his government, I would have said that he didn't want to but had to. I was thinking earlier on before I found out about it that he might end up trying to patch up holes in his administration and try to make them work with what he's got. I think this statement confirms that. But doing this would have been disastrous for him and for the country. It would not only have reinforced a reputation he has acquired for indecisiveness but it would also have left him with a weaker government as a result.

Why did I think he would do this? I thought he would because Yuschenko has this tendency to want to create harmony. He did it during the Orange Revolution by agreeing with Yanukovych in those idiotic EU brokered negotiations. And it about split the revolution right down the middle. It was at this time you heard the "well-the-revolution-isn't-about-Yuschenko" philosophy showing up. Would have been disastrous if it had happened.

But he is wiping the slate clean and I think it makes him stronger (and makes him look more decisive) notwithstanding what other analysts say. He may seem isolated, but I think that serves him much better than to be linked with Poroshenko and Tymoshenko. This allows him to make his case to the people alone, a case which he has been successful at making in the past. I remember hearing reports of the first rally down on Maidan before the elections where Yuschenko spoke. The crowds were not like those during the OR, but they were still large. When Yuschenko showed up, the crowd parted to let him pass. That was impressive.

And I remember standing down on the square during the OR and hearing the news pass along the crowd "Yuschenko's going to speak!" They would make their way closer to the stage at the news. I was not unaffected by it. That was also impressive. And I think he can do it again. People trust him or at least they want to trust him though more may be wondering about it right now. He needs to get out and make his case more to the people, something he really hasn't done yet much at all. If he does, I think the people will respond.

Will Poroshenko and Tymoshenko campaign against the government? Let's take Poroshenko first. He has lots of money but little popular support. Maybe his money can translate into more support in the end, but it is not as easy now as it once was. He would be left making his case in paid forums (I know, "fora") and his would not be the only voice people heard. And if he were critical of the government and of Yuschenko, it is not clear that that would translate into support for him. It might mean more support for Tymoshenko. The corruption allegations will dog him too.

What about Tymoshenko? She is very popular here. On this morning's call-in show on Radio Era, most of the callers were angry supporters of Yulia. She was the one doing things in the government and doing things that were popular. Prices are going up here and she was trying to stop that from happening (and make the Russians and the privateers behind it all pay for their actions.) Social justice is compelling. It may be reckless economically, but you cannot argue that it is not compelling.

Will she come out against Yuschenko? Maybe, but it would be interesting to see how she does it if so. She was linked with him during the OR but has had a forum all her own as PM. She has been able to distinguish herself there by being the one who is out doing things. (Some Polish somebody or other said she is the one in government making things happen. And that is true, she did make them happen. Whether they should have happened is another matter.) So she can distinguish herself from Yuschenko on those grounds. "I was out there for you, to make the government work for you. I ask you, was I not? Did I not force the Russians to stop raising gasoline prices until I was stopped? Did I not order the governors to come in with higher pork production in a time when there were shortages, until I was stopped? Did I not work to provide relief when sugar almost doubled in price? Is it now double in price? (No, the price has gone back down.) So I ask you, have I not been working for you, working to make sure that the money you bring home is not taken by those who profiteer at your expense?

"But I was stopped in all of this. I was told to back down when I stood up to the Russians. I was told that my methods were interfering too much in the economy, an economy that is eating away at your ability to provide the basics for your family, for your children. I was told that my efforts were hampering the economic well-being of the country. But are you more able now to provide for your families? I ask you are you more able now to do it?

"Who was it that stopped me? Who was it that prevented me from taking action to save the people of Ukraine from the privateers and from Russian interference? Who was it that prevented me from making sure that you can feed your family? I will tell you who it was and you will not like it. You will not like waht it is I have to say because it means betrayal, a betrayal of those who stood out in the cold and snow..."

Would she do this kind of thing? I don't know. She doesn't have to. She could ignore any conflict and try to build a positive case for herself based on the vision thing. But it will be hard to resist contrasting herself with the government in some way if the appeal is populist.

If she did force some kind of showdown pitting her directly against Yuschenko, it would be scorched earth and I don't think it is all that clear she would win. (Making Poroshenko the culprit gets her nothing really.) People like her decisiveness, but I think they trust Yuschenko more or at least they want to trust him. I could be wrong about this, of course, but I think it is true. As in everything else, though, we shall see.

She has a press conference this evening. Ought to be interesting.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tymoshenko is definitely popular and a populist. BUT I think that IF this new cabinet can push through changes and effect real change that is visible then it proves that T. was an obstructionist - and if "He needs to get out and make his case more to the people" is enacted then she will be no more, no matter how she portrays herself or transforms herself.

"Tymoshenko considers next move"
http://www.kyivpost.com/bn/23165/
is an interesting article and as I rejoice and celebrate feminine power, I cringe at some of the reasons behind her appeal.

Anonymous said...

Nice site i came here searching for make quick money online and was looking for other people who are interested in make quick money online
You might be interested in make quick money online

Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about free online paid survey uk related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Your site is quite interesting - make money opportunity- Keep up the good work. My domain is make money opportunity. please check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hey i got here searching for affiliate marketing associate program
Your sites not too bad!

You got good rankings for them keywords affiliate marketing associate program

I would personally like to ask you to join my site its a forum about making money online , affiliate programs etc... your a good writer , hope to see you there maybe you can learn too how to make extra cash.

Thanks
affiliate marketing associate program

Anonymous said...

Think that could give you some Search Engine popularity, and traffic???

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about client email marketing newsletter through You should check it out sometime.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I like your blog on affiliate income marketing residual secret. Let's have some more. Stop by and visit my affiliate income marketing residual secret and compare sites and blogs.

Anonymous said...

Come by and see our internet web site marketing site

Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about fast in make money related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

You have a nice web site here, it looks like you sacrificed some quality golf time building this. I just added you to my favorite's file and will be returning to see if there is anything new.

Like most people that post here I also have a making money online survey web site. If you can find the time (when you're not checking the fairways to ensure they are displaying a proper divot) come on over and see if your might give me your professional opinion on my web site. Good luck with your venture! Oh...don't forget to bring your left-handed clubs. ;-)

Cya at the top!
Al Fanucchi Jr
Founder of SIDEjob.com
------------------------------------
Get Paid Daily!
www.sidejob.com

Anonymous said...

Good Marketing information.

Advanced Business Marketing

More business marketing information you can use.

Anonymous said...

Join the 3 Marketeers Club today, its Absolutely FREE!!

Anonymous said...

Check out freedom village

Anonymous said...

Hi there Scott W. Clark. I'm was looking around for the latest information on home business and found your blog. Although this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly made me stop. I can see why I found your site when I was looking for home business related information and I'm glad I stopped by even though this isn't a perfect match. Interesting post. Thank's.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Scott W. Clark. Nice blog. I was looking for bits and pieces on home business. this post wasn't quite what I was looking for. But I can see why I landed on your page when I was looking for information on home business. Thanks for the read.

Paul said...

Pick up these 10 simple steps to resell niche product
success FREE, then create yourself a powerful resell niche product
site that will finally earn you money! resell niche product

Anonymous said...

Hi there Scott W. Clark, I'm out searching for the latest information on money making opportunity and found your site. Although this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for money making opportunity related information and I'm glad I stopped by even though this isn't a perfect match. Great post, thank's for the read!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Scott W. Clark. Your blog's excellent but I was looking around for information on home business. Even though your page isn't directly related to home business, it's still very interesting. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Scott W. Clark, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on work at home typist I ended up on your page. Obviously your site title of this post is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for work at home typist. Should the need ever arise where you need information on work at home typist then drop by for a look.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott W. Clark, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on work from home with no fee when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on work from home with no fee then drop by the site above and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott W. Clark, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on free work at home program when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for free work at home program. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about free work at home program at the site above.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott W. Clark. Your blog is very creative. I was looking for info on money making opportunity but your blog isn't a perfect match. You might be interested in money making opportunity. Have a look when you've got the time. Good read anyway. Keep it up!