Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Party of Regions losing ratings

More O.P.s which reveal fluidity of the Ukrainian electorate here. I've translated portions: "Ratings of the Party of Regions in November 2006 have dropped by 7% in comparison with the previous month. If elections to the Supreme Rada [VR] took place on Sunday, PoR would obtain 28% of the vote, The Communist Party of Ukraine, Socialist party of Ukraine and the Nataliya Vitrenko bloc would obtain 4%, 2% and 1% respectively. Yuliya Tymoshenko's block would receive 18% of the vote, and Our Ukraine - 6%.

“ A bipartisan system is being formed in Ukraine. If the authorities do not compensate somehow for increases in the cost of services, housing and utilities, then the dissatisfaction of population will be converted into support for the opposition, and by the Spring BYuT's ratings will grow, " said expert- sociologist Eugene Kopatko. In the event of the appearance of a third force then it would takes votes away from Tymoshenko, he added.

In another O.P., 45% of respondents consider that the acting government to “significant degree” protects the interests of the Donets region, 38,8% said the government protects the interests of large Ukrainian capital, 29,5% of Russian capital, and 29,5% of shady business. Only 13,5% of Ukrainians consider that the new government to “significant degree” protects the interests of simple citizens.

In August, 55% of Ukrainians positively assessed the appointment of Yanukovych as Prime Minister.

Didn't take Lutsenko long to get another job - today he was appointed as a Presidential adviser by Presidential decree.

Video of Yanukovych's presentation today at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, D.C. here. [Worth watching..]

3 comments:

R. Smith said...

That adds up to what, 60%? Could the other 40% all be going to parties w/ less than 1%?

Anonymous said...

I think that the ratings reflect the effectiveness of the media in their reporting on gov't changes and policies. A free media (though in the parts of E. Ukraine I believe that has yet to be obtained) should be safeguarded at all costs. Kudos also to the opposition in exposing and bring to light many actions that PoR would appreciate best kept hidden. Would not be surprised if after the Ministerial oustings numbers would drop further.

MattyJ said...

To answer the first comment, I think it is fair to say that the remaining 40% of voters are 'undecided'.

However, how has the CPU increased its approval rating in a few months, whilst seemingly abandoning every principle it has?

Im not sure about this opinion poll - does anyone know how that would translate into seats?